Saturday, December 3, 2011

I’m Turning Into My Grandmother
















I’m embarrassed to even mention this to you. And I’m gonna tell you something even though my “cool factor” will officially drop at least 50-60% as soon as you hear it. I just figured, that since this is what my life has become, you ought to know... are you ready?

OK, here goes... “I have a hummingbird feeder (actually 2) hanging outside our kitchen window and I am really enjoying them”... that’s right, hummingbird feeders. I have officially turned in to my grandmother! What’s up with that? And the sad part is that I really enjoy watching the hummingbirds! It’s actually pretty cool. We’ve only had the feeders up for 2-3 days and there’s at least one hummingbird at one of the feeders every 2-3 minutes. I think I know why there's many though... the instructions said to add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the water that’s in it, so I added 10 tablespoons! Typical “guy move”, right? I don’t know if that’s unhealthy for them but it definitely explains why there’s so many hummingbirds... it’s like I’m a crack dealer for hummingbirds or something. lol! “Hey little hummingbirds... I’ve got the best stuff in town! “I’ve got 10 tablespoons in my feeders, not 2 like those other people, so come on over!” haha! There’s literally a constant flow of hummingbirds in the feeders from morning until night. They’ll let us come right up to them (they’re hanging in a window with no screen) while they’re eating and they aren’t even scared. Mary Jane was even re-filling one of the feeders yesterday and they were eating out of it while she still trying to hang it up! It’s pretty amazing: )

Wait a minute. I’m only 46 years old and all it takes to get me excited now is hummingbirds??! Somebody just go ahead and shoot me, please! The next time you see a picture of me I’ll probably be wearing a I ♥ hummingbirds t-shirt or something, it’s crazy! Oh well...

Sorry that there weren’t more blog posts this week. We’ve had a family here (The Robinson’s) on a short term mission trip, the internet was too slow to post most of the days this week and to be honest... I’ve really been having a hard time. I’ll probably write about it next week (I’m still processing everything right now) and fill you in on what’s been going on but please keep praying for us. God has been allowing us to walk through some tough things here and it’s painful going through the process but it’s definitely necessary.

The pictures were of us at a school last Tuesday. We were able to teach English to the elementary school children in Terra Boa. We taught 10 classes ages 5-12 years old. This was the last class for this school year and we had to fill-in for Brad because he had gone to Sau Paulo. The kids were great and it was an honor being able to be to teach them. And the hummingbird pics are of a couple of the “regulars” at our new feeders and there's one of them eating out of it as Matthew was hanging a feeder up... told you they were pretty amazing. Don’t laugh at me, cuz they are. haha. Have a great weekend and we’ll be back Monday: )


The Hummingbird Whisperer,

JIm


No comments:

Post a Comment